Friday, April 17, 2015

Movies to watch if you like... "Game of Thrones"


The fifth season of "Game of Thrones" has begun!
That means those of us who have the patience and the memory capacity to still be watching this show will want nothing more than to consume everything Westros.

My history with the show is very much like most. All of my friends had read the book and had been obsessed with the show since the beginning. But I had my own shows ("Once Upon a Time") to keep characters straight and didn't have the time or patience to sit through the three seasons I had missed.

This was quickly remedied by my roommate who had every season on DVD and together, for about a month, we marathoned from the beginning. That was quite an exhausting month let me tell you. I wanted to take a break after The Red Wedding, but she convinced me that things had just gotten started.

As of today, I am still a season behind but absolutely love the show. I have also learned to watch it by myself. In my own room. With the doors closed. You never know what craziness is going to pop up in this show.

So because I know the show has gained such a huge following and I really need to get myself up to speed, I decided to put together a list of movies to get viewers in the mood to return to Westros.

Please enjoy!

Dragonheart (1996)


Ok, so Daeny's dragons don't talk or sound like Sean Connery. But there are dragons in this movie and weird dragon magic.

The Princess Bride (1987)



A key plot of revenge-- Wouldn't it be fantastic if Arya went up to Joffrey and said,"You killed my father. Prepare to die."? Some romance-- definitely not as steamy or as twisted but it still counts. These two can be compared to Jon and Ygritte in the Fire Swamp- but Ygritte gets to be Westley because she knows what the heck she's doing.

The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003)


You won't be able to pronounce half of the characters names. There is tons of weird magic- including one scary sorceress. And you get to see Ned alive ... oh, wait. Never mind.

First Knight (1995)


Another story about a good king whose kingdom all wants to betray him. ... Wait, was there a good king in this show?

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)


The ultimate revenge story with violence and betrayal and people who say they are friends but really aren't.

The Mists of Avalon (2001)



You need a movie of kick-ass, powerful women who hold the palm of a kingdom in their hands. Who rule the world? GIRLS!

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)



Orlando Bloom and Kit Harington look EXACTLY THE SAME! In this movie, Bloom finds himself in the Crusades- the ultimate battle of violence- and the protection of a "wall" of sorts- Jerusalem.

300 (2006)



Violence. So much violence. And Lena Heady! But this time she's good. And there's no creepy romance involved.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)


Kit Harington AND dragons! Check out my review here.

The Other Woman (2014)



For the times you want to punch Jaime Lannister in the face... Check out my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Am I totally on point? Am I 110% wrong? Tell me what your thoughts are!